Men's Discussion Topics and Possible Exercises
by Tony Bushman
Men's Path to Fulfillment:
A Guide for Men's Groups and Individuals
With Personal Exercises
By F. Anthony Bushman Ph. D., M. Divinity.
To share opinions about topics of interest to men
To have a good time sharing and being with men
This activity could be done at a men's breakfast, or in a men's group, or around a campfire. It can be done in many other formats as well.
Step 1: Agree on a topic, procedure, and a facilitator/ timer.
Step 2: Start talking
Think of other issues you would like to have discussed and indicate the five most interesting ones for you and share that with the group the next time to determine what topics to discuss in the future.
Some possible topics are listed below.
© F. Anthony Bushman, January 1, 1999
- Take any of the headings for the exercises in this book and use it as a discussion topic. Also many of the exercises have interesting questions within them for broader discussions.
- What is a healthy relationship?
- Mid- Life issues
- Vacation with the kids?
- Being positive
- Being more assertive
- Accepting ourselves
- How to handle male bashing- getting respect, being valued
- When and how to complain effectively
- Listening more effectively
- To be or not to be honest
- My partner just doesn't understand me
- Divorce- the good, the bad and the ugly
- How to create trust
- Nurturing your relationship
- Getting more balance in your life
- Building self-esteem in myself and others
- Intimacy- its risks and rewards
- Power, control and love
- Is it time to move on?
- Relationship responsibility
- Putting old resentments behind us.
- Managing to disagree
- Financial management / budgeting
- Investing wisely
- Preparing for retirement early- power of compounding
- Developing long term relationships
- Feeling loved
- Feeling valued
- Travel ideas
- Low cost activities & outings
- Sexual harassment outside the workplace
- Time to separate?
- Your next relationship
- Aspects of compatibility
- Living the single life
- Making marriage happen
- Setting acceptable limits
- What to do when your partner is withholding love or support
- Getting the love you want
- Can you give too much?
- Jealousy- love or insecurity
- Getting out of your rut
- The separate languages- his & hers
- Whatever happened to romance?
- Is your _(pet, TV, Computer, etc.) fulfilling your relationship needs?
- How to stay in love
- What are we thankful for?
- Creating ritual in your life
- Asking for 100% of what we want 100% of the time
- What are the major choices you have made in the last year?
- What are you looking for? Is it realistic?
- Focus in our lives- are we really going somewhere intentionally?
- Can we be truly honest
- What does it take to be your real self?
- Safety: How do we make ourselves safer
- What would it take for me to dare to live my dreams?
- Should I vent or hold back most of those things that bother me?
- What do many men not know about women
- What are the ways to express "I love you"
- What are the ways you would like someone to say "I love you"
- How to train your willing partner to give you what you want
- How to select a good advisor, psychotherapist, or confidant
- How to select a church or synagogue or place of worship
- How to pray / meditate
- How to hug, why hug
- What to do about a bitchy partner
- What to do about a selfish partner
- How to develop a healthy sensuality in your children (0 to 12)
- Thriving in early fatherhood (0 to 3 years)
- Developing fathering skills for children 4-10
- Developing fathering skills for children 11- 15
- Rites of passage for children (initiation rituals)
- Dealing with your parents after you no longer live with them
- Dealing with your in-laws
- Relating to gay men
- Giving gifts to your partner
- Giving gifts to children (2-5) (minors)
- To marry or partnership unmarried?
- What to do when your princess turns into a witch
- Getting your priorities straight- living a full, balanced life
- How to become less sexist
- How to become more tolerant
- Moving from domination to partnershipping
- Putting more comfort in your life
- Putting more pleasure in your life
- How to affair- proof your marriage
- How can you make your sex life more fulfilling
- Getting more recreational companionship from your partner
- In what areas could your partner be more open & honest with you?
- What do you need to do to be more attractive to your partner
- What can you do to provide adequate family financial security?
- Can your costs be reduced with little change in your quality of life
- Are you getting the domestic support you want?
- How can your partner appreciate and admire you more?
- What improvements could you make in your parenting skills?
- Is it really the little things in life that matter?
- The best vacation I ever had was......
- A good way I could have more fun with this men's group is.....
- What are some things I would like to discuss with a men's group?
- What is loving behavior
- Are you ready to marry?
- What are your self-limiting beliefs and how can you change them?
- How can you develop a surplus in your life?
- Being compassionate
- Alternative healing methods
- Coping with defeat
- How much sacrifice?
- Overcoming anxiety
- Finding and befriending my shadow
- How to be a coach
- Handling the desire that makes me restless
- When I feel abandoned
- Journal writing- pros & cons
- The internet and e-mail- present and future
- Should I have a Web page?
- Do we have any musicians here? Shall we jam?
- Do we have any hikers here? Shall we hike?
- How to stop giving more than you get in love (BD p. 111)
- What to do when your partner gets upset or emotional (BD p.138)
- What to do when your partner is stingy/ not giving?
- How to say "no" to your partner
- What to do when your partner says "No" to you
- The value of starting your retirement savings in your 20's.
- When will you have enough funds to retire?
- Have you sufficiently acknowledged your friends?
- Do you have adequate Long Term Health Care for your parents/Self?
- What kind of exercise program could actually work for you?
- What kind of nutritional program could actually work for you?
- How to Find Abundance and Surplus in Our Lives
- Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care
- Coming of Age- Transitions RB- 30
- How to be More Loving
- Managing Disagreement Constructively
- Consequences of Being Protective
- Bridging the Gender Gap
- Learning from Conflict
- Communication Barriers/ Listening Skills
- Coping with Defeat
- Being Compassionate
- Feelings Aerobics- Knowing what your feeling JG2 & p. 32;FB-2;JB-4
- How Much Sacrifice is Healthy
- Women's Power Over Men
- Handling Personal Finances
- Handling Insults to Us.
- Saying "No" in a win / win Way FB-4
- Forgiving ourselves and others TS 4-7
- Celebrating Fathers Day
- How to Safely Emotionally Dump on your Partner -Harvelle Hendrix
- When and How to Leave a Relationship JG- 9; FB-9
- Rituals men need for affirming/initiation, midlife crises KT6:14 &64
- Handling Male Bashing, negative stereotyping, devaluing KT-17; FB4
- Getting thru a crises JG-7; FB 4;
- Changing negative complaints into positive suggestions JG 2&5
- Pleasuring your partner JG-8; FB-4
- How to make a good thing better JG-8, p.189, 201
- Overcoming our sexual fears & directing energies MK-10MF 6-7
- Accepting my father, finding myself JL- 10
- Becoming Good Fathers TO p.108; RB-86 &102
- Coping with your Mid-life crises JS 5; FB-6;
- Dealing With Loneliness
- What is a Playful Relationship FB 4
- Men as parents, nurturers, fathers FB-8;FA-17,31,36;JB-2
- Men as protectors, the draft, FB -11; RB-215-30; JB-8
- Where are you in the Men's Lib Movement? FB-13,14;KC4&8; RF-6
- What to do about being over mothered? JF 2
- What are Dads for? JF-6, Ellium
- Healing our father wound JF 11,12; FA-7,10
- Making Amends TS-4-9; AA
- Making the transition in new male roles HG-NM-6-8
- How to have playfulness in your relationships HG-NM-9
- Being an authentic companion without psuedosupport HG-NM-220
- How to choose a partner HG-IM-5
- Feelings: When are they real -when can they be trusted HG-IM-13
- Divorce HG-H-11; RB-126
- How to grow old gracefully RB- 277-306
- The price of success is often suffering- What to do about it? RF-9,19
- Male sex and sexual spirituality JN-1,6, JC- 12
- Transitioning into your forties DL-13,14,pg 57; JK-15;
- Expressing your inner artist and creator(J. Cameron Artists Way)
- Parenting teenagers
- Handling your parents as adults
- Abusive relationships
- Achievement anxiety
- . Child custody
- Health care
KT= To be a man, Kieth Thompson
JG= Couples guide to Communication, John Gottman and others
MK= Morton Kelsey Sacrament of Sexuality, Morton Kelsey & Barbara Kelsey
JL = The Flying Boy, John Lee
TO= Brother Spirit, Tom Owen-Towle
JS = John Sanford What Men are like, John Sanford & George Lough
FB= Men Freeing Men, Francis Baumli
JF= The Grown Up Man,John Friel
TS = Male Survivors, Timothy Sanders
KC =Contemporary Perspectives of Masculinity, Kenneth Clatterbaugh
JC = Toward a Male Spirituality, John Carmody
JK = The Intimate Man, James Kilgore
HG-NM = The New Male- Female Relationship, Herb Goldberg
HG-IM = The Inner Male
HG-H= The Hazards of Being Male
FA = New Men, New Minds, Franklin Abbott
RB = About Men, Russell Baker
JB= Gods in Everyman, Jean Shinoda Bolen
MF= Catching Fire, Merle Fossum
RF = The forgotten Man, Reuben Fine
JN = The intimate Connection, James Nelson
DL = Seasons of a Man's Life, Daniel Levinson
© F. Anthony Bushman, January 1, 1999